18 February 2008

Front Door Debacle

Today I came home from work to find a couple having an argument right outside our door. They didn't really notice me trying to get in till I took the keys out of my handbag and gave them a little jangle. This isn't the first time something like this has happened and it won't be the last, as our front door is right between two businesses. We often get hoards of smokers in front as there's a cigarette bin just next to our door. One time I came home from Centra to find a homeless woman peeing in our doorway. And whilst I waited for her to finish up with her bio-vandalism, she shouted some amount of drunken abuse at me. I'm really fed up. That is why I've decided that I'm going to paint the door bright effing yellow, like the one above. I don't care what my landlord thinks and I don't know if it will help, but It will definitely make it more noticable and recognizable as a residential building.

Do any of you have the same problem? If so, what would you do to make it stop? Share your stories here.

3 comments:

zee said...

Ugh, sounds awful, you poor thing. How about hanging a "Home Sweet Home" sign from the door!

Shawna said...

I could, but the hobos might come back and steal it :'-(

bigtree said...

bio-vadalism! Love it.

I once lived in a house with a door similar to the one in your photo (and yellow too) and we frequently had domestics at it in the middle of the night and also people often pulled up their cars outside it, opened their car door, put the music up full blast and partied on my door step. This happened a number of times with different people. This with a yellow door. I think you might need to put up a sign of some sort rather than paint it.