11 May 2008

Goodbye Habitat




It is with a heavy heart that I have to report the loss of our good friend, Habitat. On Friday night, one of Dublin's few good furniture stores closed its doors for the last time, much to the dismay of all its loyal customers, most of which (including myself) had absolutely no clue that the store was closing down. In fact, I was in there just last week, and no one mentioned anything to me when I made my purchases about the store closing. Although, I assume this was probably a surprise to most of the staff as well.

Conai Designs (Ireland) Ltd. stated the following in a press release on Habitat.ie:

"Due to severe downturn in both our Galway and Dublin stores, it has become impossible to trade through the subsequent financial difficulties, particularly in light of the current economic environment. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support over the past 6 years."

I'm slightly outraged at the company for closing so quickly without any warning whatsoever. The least they could have done would be to have a massive closing down sale long enough for people to actually find out about it. Needless to say, I've been in a state of shock and mourning all day. The sun was shining, but the world seemed a greyer place. The birds were singing, but all I could hear were the sounds of Habitat's swan song. Today truly is a tragic day for Dublin interiors.

9 comments:

sushi said...

but were they really that good? so much of their furniture was made of MDF.

Rojo said...

me mudder told me bout this yesterday. :'(

Sushi, I always thought they were pretty good but there isn't really that big of a selection of shops in the same vein as habitat here.. (well, not that I know of, really)

zee said...

Great post Shawna. I'm SO gutted that Habitat has closed. It was truly Dublin's only one-stop shop for tasteful and stylish furniture, lighting, home accessories, etc. Some stores do a good selection of some stuff, but Habitat was a fantastic all-rounder. However, I can't help wondering if their reputation for being complete crap at dealing with furniture orders contributed to their undoing.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose anyone knows who their couriers were / are? I believe something I bought was already dispatched with the courier when the Friday news was announced? david.wilkins@bt.com if anyone can help?

Anonymous said...

Habitat was good but their prices weren't!



The quality and durability of most of their furniture is on a par with IKEA, except IKEA charge reasonable rates!

Dervla said...

Its a sad day indeed. Sadder for their now unemployed staff and the customers who paid large sums for undelivered furniture. Lets hope theres a positive resolution for all. I'll miss my lunchtime visits :-(

Shawna said...

I agree that it's incredibly sad about the employees. You'd think they would have given them some sort of warning.

rosey said...

Shoot! I have €150 vouchers for Habitat! I was only in there last week scouting to see what to spend them on... What do I do now?

Dervla said...

I feel your pain rosey, I have eur60, but some friends have eur1200 in vouchers (wedding gifts). I've emailed the uk address but silence so far. I have my fingers crossed that the UK store will honour them.